Pixl Pets is a round-based pet battler where trainers pilot their team of 4 Pets against other players' teams in the Battle Arena and out in the wider Pixlverse. Each round all players choose from a series of moves known by their pets as well as additional and optional trainer commands. Once options are selected the battle resolves automatically according to the rounds turn order. Pixl Pets' is unique among Pet battlers in its use of a 2x2 grid upon which all of your Pets are simultaneously active. Masterful use and manipulation of the Battle grid will be the key to a player's success.
We aim to offer several Pixl Pet game modes that cover a range of experiences from relaxed and casual to intense and competitive, in all of these Multiplayer is being prioritized at every turn. We believe firmly in connecting players and allowing them to create their own journeys.
The following are our core design objectives used since the inception of the Pixl Pets Flagship game:
- To explore the competitive potential of the round-based Pet battler. Other titles in the genre lean heavily on the wider world to prop up the combat experience, this effect should be recognized and understood but not relied upon to the same extent.
- To offer meaningful gamified financial decisions to players in a way that challenges and engages without 'abusing' various dopamine tricks developed over the last decade.
- For every round to contain a minimum of 4 critical decisions per player, focusing on increasing player agency by adding complexity, whilst extracting value from the doctrine of accessibility developed over the last decade.
- To strike a healthy balance between strategy and Yomi, avoiding a situation where the strategy feels too heavy and the 'randomness' is too chaotic.
- To provide a modern and clean 'feel' to the game with adequate respect to the retro-inspired nature of the game.